[extropy-chat] something rather than nothing

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 6 05:30:29 UTC 2007

--- Russell Wallace <russell.wallace at gmail.com> wrote:

> Would we? Suppose we weren't?
>
> Phrased that way, that doesn't sound like it makes
> sense, so let's use
> Hawking's rephrasing of the original question: "What
> is it that breathes
> fire into the equations and makes a universe for
> them to describe?"

Perhaps the equations themselves breath fire into the
universe.

> In other words, "part of the same set of equations
> as we are" is just what
> we meant all along by the word "real"; the notion
> that that set of equations
> might not be real is therefore a logical
> self-contradiction, and the answer
> to the original question is "mu".

Your argument is right on. Except I call mu OM.

Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"Now what I contend is that my body is my own, at least I have always so regarded it. If I do harm through my experimenting with it, it is I who suffers, not the state." -Mark Twain