[extropy-chat] PJ's quotes and email clients

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 11:49:32 UTC 2007

On 3/13/07, Robert Bradbury wrote:

> I can see what the problem is with the archives.  It just sticks all of the
> messages between <PRE> and </PRE> tags indicating "PRE"-formatted text.
> Unfortunately most browsers assume that means that you have already wrapped
> the lines which isn't the case for many messages which now have very long
> lines (which *is* acceptable for HTML, since the browser will wrap them for
> the window or sub-window in which the text is being viewed).

I think the problem lies with pj's webmail system.

She is sending as:

This means that the body is a base64 ASCII encoding of data that was
originally in utf-8, and will be in that character set again after
decoding.

Eudora does not support the utf-8 character set.

So the problem would be solved if pj could set her webmail software to
use ISO-8859-1
(normal text) instead of utf-8. Unfortunately I am unable to perch on
pj's shoulder, so she will probably have to call in tech support to
adjust her software.

Or she could just get a gmail account. You can upload all your
existing mail into gmail if you need to.

Best wishes, BillK