[extropy-chat] Yesterday's Seminar on Transhumanism and Religion in Second Life

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Tue May 1 09:32:56 UTC 2007

On 01/05/07, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

This scenario is often offered as the reason for Fermi's paradox.
> <http://www.seedmagazine.com/news/2006/05/why_we_havent_met_any_aliens.php
> >

> This writer uses EP failings in modern man to support his thesis.
>
> Quotes:
> As a result, brains must evolve short-cuts: fitness-promoting tricks,
> cons, recipes and heuristics that work, on average, under ancestrally
> normal conditions. The result is that we don't seek reproductive
> success directly; we seek tasty foods that have tended to promote
> survival, and luscious mates who have tended to produce bright,
> healthy babies. The modern result? Fast food and pornography.
>
> Fitness-faking technology tends to evolve much faster than our
> psychological resistance to it.

Yes, but evolution always comes up with a solution. Out of a zillion
civilizations there will always be some individuals who, perhaps perversely,
wish to expand and explore the universe despite the goodies available via
virtual reality without leaving home. Those individuals will tend to
populate the universe, just as a single antibiotic-resistant bacterium will
take over a petri dish.

--
Stathis Papaioannou