[extropy-chat] Yesterday's Seminar on Transhumanism and Religion in Second Life

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue May 1 10:47:45 UTC 2007

On 5/1/07, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
> Yes, but evolution always comes up with a solution. Out of a zillion
> civilizations there will always be some individuals who, perhaps perversely,
> wish to expand and explore the universe despite the goodies available via
> virtual reality without leaving home. Those individuals will tend to
> populate the universe, just as a single antibiotic-resistant bacterium will
> take over a petri dish.

You can always hope.
Sounds like a big dose of wishful thinking to me.

The point is that evolution doesn't have sufficient time to react.
The loners will be the 'Amish' in a future society.

And in your scenario, you still have to answer the question,
'Where are they?'.  Even at sub-light speeds they should be all over
our galaxy by now.
We might be the first, or only, in our galaxy, but answering the
question means deciding between a range of unlikely choices.

BillK