[extropy-chat] Posthumanism vs. Transhumanism

nvitamore at austin.rr.com nvitamore at austin.rr.com
Wed May 2 00:36:11 UTC 2007

While I was away at a conference there was some discussion about posthumans
and posthumanism.  In my research in preparing my paper on BioArt, many of
the theoreticians and curators I spoke with referred to the posthuman and
discounted the transhuman (including isms).  I have known for some time
that there is an academic dismissing of transhumanism and an embracing of
posthumanism, in large part due to Kathryn Hayles book which does not cover
transhumanism.  This book also does not mention Max's published article "On
Becoming Posthuman" and also importantly Robert Peppernell who wrote "The
Posthuman Condition."  I know that UK professors are annoyed at Hayles'
borrowing ideas from Pepperell and not recognizing him.

Many of the reasons for this and I'd like to discuss it with you all in
this thread. First I'd like to hear your thoughts if you have any.

Thanks,
Natasha