[extropy-chat] How to be copied into the future?,

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Wed May 2 17:17:12 UTC 2007

Stathis:

Heartland, High Priest of the Unique Atom and Sacred Original Cult Wrote:

 > That doesn't matter at all.

No, what matters to you is not continuity of process but continuity of
atoms; and what matters to you is objective temporal continuity, subjective
continuity doesn't matter at all to subjective experience (!), at least
according to you.

> Why should it matter?

Because subjectivity is the most important thing in the universe.

 > Of course it's subjective so it's not valid evidence at all.

That pretty much sums up the absurdity of your position, the idea that I
need objective proof in order for me to believe I am having a subject
experience. The feeling of being alive is a subjective experience and I
don't
need your precious space time trajectories of my individual atoms to prove
to me that I feel alive any more than I need proof that the sensation I feel
when I put my hand in a fire I find unpleasant. Direct experience outranks
even the Scientific Method.

  John K Clark