[ExI] Avoiding Coarseness in our Dialogs

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Fri May 4 01:35:13 UTC 2007

On 5/3/07, Benjamin Goertzel <ben at goertzel.org> wrote:

> > Exactly.  What the FUCK is your problem, people?  Are you all a bunch of
> > ass-raping, baby--molesting, feces-fondue-ingesting cockmaster fuckwads
> > or what??  Your mothers all wear combat boots!!  I say you betta get off
> > your goddamn adipose asses and start talking about something MORE BLOODY
> > INTERESTING... or else after the Singularity has passed and I'm in charge
> > I WON'T REANIMATE YOUR SOULS HAHAHAHA
>

> Oh, and by the way ... in case there are any goddamn bloody retards on here
> I wasn't serious ;-)

You were really in character up to the "adipose asses" bit.

The way this thread started reminded me of the plea I made in AGI to
have more exact language for the sake (not _necessarily_ of simplified
language grounding)  of some concession to the reader.  I
unconsciously maintain multiple sentence parsings and the more complex
the topic, usually the more superpositions of meaning the
words/sentences can yield.  Normally everything cancels out through
context - but when I'm trying to learn new ideas from the smart people
on the lists I am subscribed to, the ambiguity of casual language adds
up to confusion.

I like Randall's point that how one writes is measure of respect for
the reader...