[ExI] Avoiding Coarseness in our Dialogs

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Fri May 4 17:14:05 UTC 2007

Jef writes

>> > The slightly farcical aspect here is that Lee was the one who
>> > introduced the foul epithet "----".  I was shocked, shocked I say.
>>
>> It's a variety of Tourette's syndrome, in which sufferers suddenly emit
>> streams of punctuation for no apparent reason. -One of the new
>> textually-transmitted diseases, against which humor is the only known
>> prophylactic.  :  )
>
> It's described in the technical literature as punctuated disequilibrium.

Yes, yes, yes, have a good laugh!  Laugh and the world laughs with you.
Laughter is the best medicine.

It also helps you avoid *real* problems, making it conveniently unnecessary
to ignore reports like BillK's where he wrote on 5/3, 9:34 AM

> I can only speak for the UK, but the constant use of swearing in their
> [teenagers'] normal conversation is very prevalent. You only need to
> walk around the mall, or listen on public transport,  whenever a group
> get together. They don't think of it as swearing, it is just normal for
> them. When they get angry, and want to swear, they run into problems
> communicating their displeasure because they haven't got any
> 'forbidden' words left to use. So violence is the easy way of
> expressing anger.

Tut tut, BillK, you just gotta learn to laugh!  Moreover, let Randall
clue you into some really great Rap, and soon you can be singin'
and dancin' away at just how da whores oughtta be cut up and fucked.
(I, certainly, dare not replace the latter with "------", after all, to avoid
shocking certain sensitive types.)

Lee