[ExI] Evidence

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Sat May 5 19:23:33 UTC 2007

> We are fast approaching the problem you describe in the courtroom.
> These days, just how reliable can pictures (and soon videos) be?
> The solution---advocated by David Brin, I believe---is that testimony
> from real, live, 3D people must be provided, or at least via networks of
> reliability.

Indeed this has come up before, back in the 80s or thereabouts when
computers were first coming into widespread use, the question was raised
whether computer printouts could be accepted as evidence, because suddenly
everyone had the necessary tools to generate any printed text they wanted.
The solution put forward was that a printout can be accepted as evidence if
a witness testifies that the information it contains is genuine.