[ExI] What should survive and why?

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Mon May 7 03:18:19 UTC 2007

On 07/05/07, Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:

> If the universe is infinite and uniform, then I think that everything that
> can happen, does happen. By infinite I mean that there exists a countable
> infinity of any given finite volume of space. By uniform I mean that the
> physical laws remain uniform everywhere and that physical parameters such as
> density and temperature limit towards some universal mean in any
> sufficiently large volume, an assumption that most astronomers make about
> subsets of our own Hubble volume. Now, with the conditions described there
> is a non-zero probability, call it p, that any given physically possible
> event E will be found to occur in a given volume of space, and this
> probability is uniform over the infinite volumes of space available. So the
> probability that E does not occur within n volumes of space is (1-p)^n. You
> can see that as n-> infinity, (1-p)^n approaches zero, which means that for
> sufficiently large finite n, Pr(E) can be made arbitrarily close to 1. E
> could be something like "an arbitrarily close functional analogue of my
> brain at the present moment".
>

> Not so fast.  If the number, n(E), of possible things that can occur is
> much larger (much less a different order of infinity) than the number of
> places/states/chances it could occur in then your argument fails.

That would be so, but the Bekenstein bound in quantum mechanics sets an
upper limit to the amount of information or number of distinct physical
states contained in a finite volume of space. So even if you specified E
down to the quantum level (which is overkill: you don't care if your copy is
identical to you aside from one atom in her hair), the number of possible
things that can happen in a finite volume of space is finite. If the number
of volumes is infinite, then E has to occur.

--
Stathis Papaioannou