[ExI] Language Issuing Forth Before Our Very Eyes

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Tue May 22 03:35:35 UTC 2007

At 06:59 PM 5/21/2007 -0700, Lee wrote:

>  "My husband and I have
>issues."  I say that even five (5!) years ago, that would have been
>"My husband and I have problems".

Exactly!

>Isn't it true that "issues" has
>very recently become a euphemism for "problems"? ...it's yet another
>example of the mindless march of euphemism

Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!

I abominate this vile usage. It's feeble and evasive. I have issues with it!

(Its seeping presence is possibly derived not so much from "I take
issue with X," or from bureaubabble, as from the once famous book
title FAT IS A FEMINIST ISSUE, which one waggish friend naughtily
pronounced "Fat is a feminist tissue.")

Damien Broderick