[ExI] Language Changing Before Our Very Eyes

Randall Randall randall at randallsquared.com
Tue May 22 04:06:27 UTC 2007

On May 21, 2007, at 9:59 PM, Lee Corbin wrote:
> Another case:  overheard, now, on a radio show instead of merely
> at a boring video-conference meeting:  "My husband and I have
> issues."  I say that even five (5!) years ago, that would have been
> "My husband and I have problems".  Isn't it true that "issues" has
> very recently become a euphemism for "problems"?   Moreover,
> is it true that this use of "issues" has decended from bureaucratic
> techno-speak?   Seems that way to me.

Among my circle of (physical) acquaintances, "issues"
has been in use since at least the early 90s, sometimes
as a conscious word choice.  If someone has problems,
one is expected to "solve" them.  You can live with
issues, and learn to deal with them without feeling a
need to fix them.

Also, the usage lends itself to comments about having
a whole subscription, rather than just a few issues...

--
Randall Randall <randall at randallsquared.com>
"You don't help someone by looking at their list of options and