[ExI] Language Changing Before Our Very Eyes

Richard Loosemore rpwl at lightlink.com
Tue May 22 14:28:24 UTC 2007

Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

> I find "she" and "her" jarring, calling attention to the sexism of the
> language where what is really intended is a gender neutral pronoun.
> Alternating "she" and "her" with "he" and "him" in the same passage is
> even more jarring, and using "they" and "them" when referring to the
> singular is just plain wrong.

Alas, History would have issues with you there:  IIRC, she would tell
you that about three centuries ago, the normal, correct form of a
singular, gender-neutral pronoun was "they".  This was then deliberately
(?) changed by men who decided to go with the male gender for neutral
references, as a more fitting reflection of their status in society.

Richard Loosemore.