[ExI] Language Changing Before Our Very Eyes

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Fri May 25 17:33:04 UTC 2007

I wrote:

>  For example:
>
>  Asteroid on course for near-collision with Earth
>  http://www.cnn.com/TECH/space/9803/12/asteroid/index.html
>
>  That headline makes perfect sense to me. I would not change it.

Interestingly, despite the headline, the first paragraph of the article
states that the asteroid's course toward Earth is a near-miss, not a
near-collision:

"Astronomers say a mile-wide asteroid described as "the most dangerous one
we've found so far" may be on course for a near-miss...."

What happened? Did the asteroid change course while the author was writing
the article? Where are the language cops when you need them? :)

-gts