[ExI] Language Changing Before Our Very Eyes

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Sat May 26 22:00:49 UTC 2007

On 5/26/07, gts <gts_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> We don't treat "near-black" and "near-white" as synonyms.
> We don't treat "near-top" and "near-bottom" as synonyms.
> We don't treat "near-genius" and "near-moron" as synonyms.
> We don't treat "near-freezing" and "near-boiling" as synonyms.
>
> And this is all as it should be, because the second terms in each of these
> word pairs relate as near or exact antonyms.

Isn't this THE classic example of philosophic pointlessness, arguing
over whether the glass is half-empty or half-full -- how could it be
either or both?!

I'm going to go back to the more practical matter of trying to figure
out how my Thermos keeps cold things cold, and hot things hot!  How do
it do that?

- Jef