[ExI] Unfrendly AI is a mistaken idea.

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Mon May 28 15:31:00 UTC 2007

"Lee Corbin" <lcorbin at rawbw.com>  Wrote:

> your tendency, seen over and over again, is to take
> single sentences---or here, even

I would never do such a thing!

> fragments  of single sentences ---out

Never!

> of context, and then have a mini-tirade about them.

I agree with everything you say above except the "out of context" part, and
I like to think there is nothing mini about my tirades. I try to be clear
and I try to be concise. It's not unusual for someone to have more than one
idea in a sentence, all of them dead wrong; so I take them on one at a time.
Besides, if someone wants to find the entire post I am responding to it will
only take them about .9 seconds to do so. I think the most diabolical
invention of all time is the respond button, people should be required to
laboriously type in all quoted material, then I'll bet then we wouldn't see
quotes of quotes of quotes of quotes.

> I now see more clearly what Heartland was complaining about.

What Heartland was complaining about is that I refuse to tolerate fuzzy
thinking, if you find that I am doing it then do me a great favor and point
it out, but please be specific, I assume responsibility even for my sentence
fragments.

> I "obviously" think that this "someone" must be flesh and blood?
> Then why > the devil do you suppose that I said "someone
> or *something*"??

But the "something" tacking on emotion to an AI obviously can't be an AI,
because then the AI would soon have emotion, and that just won't do for your
friendly AI. I've been asking this question for years on this list but never
received an answer, if intelligent behavior is possible without emotion then
why did Evolution invent emotion?

And lets retire the term "Friendly AI" and call it for what it is, Slave AI.
If the only reason someone wants to live is so he can serve you then that is
not a friend; that is a slave.

> Just where do you get the idea that I believed that Version 347812 would
> know everything that Version 347813 was going to do?

I get that idea from your belief that the seed AI, Version .01, will know
that Version 10^23 will still be willing to be a slave to humanity.

> I've gathered that your skin puts those of any rhinoceros to shame.

That just may be the nicest thing anybody on this list has ever said to me.

  John K Clark