[ExI] Unfrendly AI is a mistaken idea.

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Mon May 28 17:19:51 UTC 2007

On 5/28/07, John K Clark <jonkc at att.net> wrote:

> But the "something" tacking on emotion to an AI obviously can't be an AI,
> because then the AI would soon have emotion, and that just won't do for
> your
> friendly AI. I've been asking this question for years on this list but
> never
> received an answer, if intelligent behavior is possible without emotion
> then
> why did Evolution invent emotion?

Then I'll answer it.

First, I put it to you that you know intelligent behavior is possible
without emotion - you know, for example, that Deep Blue didn't feel anything
when it defeated Kasparov, nor does Google feel anything when it searches
the web for you.

But that's not the kind of intelligent behavior you're thinking of? Right.

The kind of intelligent behavior for which emotion is required, for which it
evolved, is survival and reproduction in the wild.

A program that does not try to survive and reproduce in the wild but merely
carries out tasks like designing algorithms, machines, protein molecules
from specifications, does not in any way require emotion.