[ExI] abandoning hope

Spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Nov 1 04:48:22 UTC 2007

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of hkhenson
> >...  I fear we weren't much
> >help to Keith, but perhaps we were better than nothing.
>
> You were actually *very* helpful...

Thanks Keith.  I have often worried that we made lotsa noise, but when the
actual shooting started we scattered like roaches.

>  It's just that our numbers (and
> tactics) are ineffective in the face of so much social inertia...

Ja.  The concentration of active transhumanists on this planet are a few
parts per billion among the human population.  I fear we have had little
impact so far.  I sure cannot point a finger because there are there would
be at least three pointing back at myself.  I have done durn little to
promote transhumanism, other than to entertain my normal friends with tales
of brain prosthetics and freezing my head upon my demise.

> To some extent people deserve what happens because of their inattention.
>
> Keith

The one less gloomy aspect to this is that we at least have a lot more
theoretical access to information than ever before, because of the internet.
The story of your struggle with Co$ went round the world thousands of times
and reached millions of people.  (But very little was said by the old
fashioned ink on dead trees medium, including your old home town rag the
Palo Alto Daily.  I guess we can now start calling that medium
non-blackberry newpapers.)