[ExI] Abandon all services

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Sat Nov 10 16:27:09 UTC 2007

At 06:46 PM 11/9/2007, PJ wrote:
:

>However, this begs an interesting question: do people in this group
>feel they are more or less travelled than others in their demographic
>population?  Does seeing 'the big picture' and thinking about the
>future more than others mean we're more or less mobile or is there no
>correlation and the idea is irrelevant?

I travel too much to have a centralized demographic location :-)

I have travelled to Eastern and Western Europe, Central America,
South America, various islands, Asia, etc., and each time it is a
culture shock, but the adapting is quicker.  It is never easy when
bags are lost, illness sets in, and customs is harsh.

Physical traveling to geographic locations is just part of the big
picture.  Psychological traveling to different cultures and
experiencing them provides a deeper, richer
experience.  Transhumanists and other futurists see a big picture
because of an ability to skim across and synthesize domains of
thought regardless of physical and psychological real-time
travel.  This may become just one way of the travelling experience as
we continue being more fluid in virtual time and "experience design"
will make real and virtual even more immersive and challenging.

Natasha

<http://www.natasha.cc/>Natasha<http://www.natasha.cc/> Vita-More
PhD Candidate,  Planetary Collegium - CAiiA, situated in the Faculty
of Technology,
School of Computing, Communications and Electronics,
University of Plymouth, UK
<http://www.transhumanist.biz/>Transhumanist Arts & Culture
<http://extropy.org/>Thinking About the <http://extropy.org/>Future

If you draw a circle in the sand and study only what's inside the
circle, then that is a closed-system perspective. If you study what
is inside the circle and everything outside the circle, then that is
an open system perspective. - Buckminster Fuller