[ExI] Abandon all services

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 18:36:25 UTC 2007

On Nov 10, 2007 7:26 PM, Amara Graps <amara at amara.com> wrote:

> Cut the crap, Stefano. Italians and I both wrote the letters I used. To be
> precise: I asked my 'self-respecting Italian' colleagues and friends
> the procedures to use, they told me the procedures, I wrote the letters,
> checked with them, and sent and faxed them off.
>
> I'm kind of tired of your implying that I'm not doing anything in the
> 'self-respecting' Italian way. My colleagues and friends are ripped
> off, shafted, frustrated, twisted around by the environment around them
> too. The only difference is they have decades of getting used to it,
> they don't complain when they are ripped off, and they have extra
> and they layers of familial network to support them.

Please appreciate that I am (half-)joking with my perhaps indelicate
remarks, and that I am both supportive and displeased/disturbed by the bad
impression you got from the country - even though I am not especially
affectionate to it -, not to mention by the fact that you had bad
experiences in the first place, be it in Italy or elsewhere.

But would your Italian friends really have bothered to do more than a
perfunctory, if any, effort to terminate their utility contracts before
leaving the country forever? Do they actually stand in lines any time they
can avoid it? Do they feel it entirely normal to drive in countries where
you are actually required to stop at red traffic lights, or perhaps feel in
turn a little frustrated when this is the case?

This is not a rhetorical question, I am actually curious.

Stefano Vaj