[ExI] zmm: quest for the holy honda

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Nov 12 03:31:51 UTC 2007

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of spike
>
> For that matter it occurred to me today that his bike may still be out
> there
> somewhere.  It might be under a blanket in a barn somewhere in Montana.
> It
> would be worth a cool fortune.  Possibly more than Steinbeck's Rocinante.

Perhaps this is understandable that I flubbed a major detail, since it has
been 25 years (this month!) since I read the book.  I reviewed this evening
and recalled that altho there were crises in Montana, Pirsig and his son
managed to make it all the way to San Francisco, where he hurriedly sold the
bike.  That means that bike might still be around here somewhere, right in
my own back yard.  This is my new aspiration to greatness, the quest for the
Holy Honda.  I want to find Pirsig's CB77 that he rode from Chicago to San
Francisco, that lost sacred relic possibly suffering now in the hands of
some low-quality young heathern, who perhaps refers contemptuously to the
priceless object as a non-blackberry motorcycle.

In the mean time, I will reread ZMM in order to more fully be able to enter
discussions with Gene and the other ZMM virgins out there, those fortunate
souls who have never read ZMM but are starting now on a wonderful journey of
discovery.  I suggest that one get in the mental zone, rev up one's
concentration before starting, for ZMM is not a breezy travelogue, no
bathroom fluff is this, but rather it is a philosophical deep mine that
requires disciplined concentration to extract the profound memetic riches
therein.

There is a ton of good extropian-ish stuff in there too.  If you haven't
time to dedicate to such a tome, I recommend taking a chapter or section,
read and understand that, then come back for comment.  Put ZMM somewhere in
the subject line, so that non-ZMMers can move on, while we pity the poor
souls, never knowing what they are missing.

Think Quality.

spike

ps Is Max More out there?  Isn't he a professor of philosophy?  If so, he
surely would have studied ZMM and perhaps has some enlightening commentary,
ja?