[ExI] Extropian police officer who died on 9/11?

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Mon Nov 19 15:25:29 UTC 2007

At 04:28 PM 11/18/2007, Eli wrote:
>Natasha Vita-More wrote:
>  >
>  > Yes.  He was a friend.  His name was John Perry.
>
>Max More wrote:
> > Right after I sent off that last email, I remembered that Dan's
> > surname was "McIntire" or "MacIntire" (or possibly Macintyre".
> Hope that helps.
>
>Thanks, both.  (I thought I'd sent an earlier email but it's not
>showing up in my inbox.)
>
>I hope it doesn't sound too horribly insensitive to say this, but if
>anyone can think of a definite, confirmed, unamgiguous case of an
>atheist sacrificing their life while being current in a cryo
>arrangement, it would be the ultimate counterevidence to the "selfish
>cryonicist" meme.  I wish I didn't have to look for a completely
>airtight case, but you know the kind of debaters we're up against.
>I.e., "Maybe John Perry thought better of your damned crazy idea and
>that's why he wasn't signed up any more."

Here is a thought:  Since the term "heros" is in the mainstream,
whether instrumental because of the TV show "Heros" or because of a
nostalgia for heros in modern culture, the term is used especially at
CNN for everyday types of heros who may not hit magazine
covers.  http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/07/16/heroes.archive/

The term is used to recognize people, who have not performed big acts
like John in volunteering to help out at 9/11, but those who do small
but crucial acts of bravery and random acts of kindness.

Thus, if you are unable to find a cryonicist/achiest who has notable
heroic behavior, there may still be someone who has done some act
that in and of itself is heroic.  In this way, I would say that
FM-2030 was a hero.  He perpetually helped people on a daily
basis.  He took phone calls morning, noon, and night to council
people who were dealing with  problems which affected their
lives.  In this regard, he was not selfish and no one thought of him
as selfish in his relationships with people he counselled - his
friends (I am strictly talking about friends or those who came to him
for counselling).  I don't know all the people suspended, but I feel
confident that there are some who are recognized in their communities
to have been generous and selfless (meaning not stingy, but not
meaning self-less.)

Natasha

<http://www.natasha.cc/>Natasha<http://www.natasha.cc/> Vita-More
PhD Candidate,  Planetary Collegium - CAiiA, situated in the Faculty
of Technology,
School of Computing, Communications and Electronics,
University of Plymouth, UK
<http://www.transhumanist.biz/>Transhumanist Arts & Culture
<http://extropy.org/>Thinking About the <http://extropy.org/>Future

If you draw a circle in the sand and study only what's inside the
circle, then that is a closed-system perspective. If you study what
is inside the circle and everything outside the circle, then that is
an open system perspective. - Buckminster Fuller