[ExI] What do you get out of this "Odds of dying" page?

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 08:29:48 UTC 2007

On 11/20/07, Sébastien wrote:
> http://www.nsc.org/lrs/statinfo/odds.htm
> Please to share your insights/ innovations/ inventions/ safety tips/ morbid
> humour etc
>
> The odds of accidents on the road made me think I would encourage the
> construction of a high speed train from our metropolis to our capital to
> diminish the car death rate, it also made me think of what Steve Mann said
> about his bicycle sensor "Every morning I decide how I will see the world
> that day. Sometimes I give myself eyes in the back of my head. Other days I
> add a sixth sense, such as the ability to feel objects at a distance. If I'm
> going to ride my bicycle, I'll want to feel the cars and trucks pressing
> against my back, even when they are a few hundred feet away"   ; how come
> such a cool device not out there yet?

The figure that leaps out at me says that everyone should drive
three-wheeled vehicles.

Only 13 people died in 2004 compared with about 20,000 for other road vehicles.
Sounds like great odds to me!

Then the thought occurred to me that maybe there were only 13
three-wheeled vehicles and they *all* died.

I think these stats need a bit of reworking.

BillK