[ExI] Evolutiion is not random,...

Robert Picone rpicone at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 01:52:51 UTC 2007

On Nov 25, 2007 3:58 PM, giovanni santost <santostasigio at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Along the line of what we were discussing sometime ago about evolution and
> randomness, here some interesting reading:
>
> http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/11/071119123929.htm
>
> It is claimed that underlying process of evolution is not randomness but
> instead deterministic processes.

The actual study made no such claims, they said that *developmental*evolution
*in the nematode vulva* occurred  *primarily* through deterministic
mechanisms.

Basically, it was a claim that when ways to form a single, already defined
structure are evolving, only two of forty factors were random, while the
others were at least somewhat convergent.

See:
http://www.current-biology.com/content/article/fulltext?uid=PIIS0960982207021938

All this has no bearing I am aware of on the "underlying process of
evolution", which is neither inherently random nor inherently deterministic.