[ExI] Regarding Wickedness

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Tue Nov 27 07:12:58 UTC 2007

Keith writes

> The problem here is "hatred of evil." We of the west consider it evil
> to flog a woman for being raped, while fundamental Islamics consider
> women driving cars to be evil.

Well, so that sounds like it's settled.

Some people think it's okay, and some don't, and that's that.

(Oddly, there is debate *within* Islam, however.  In one Indian
village there is disagreement over whether a woman who has
committed adultery should be publically stoned to death, or
merely privately strangled.)

Nope, we can't say that this is "evil" because it sounds funny,
archaic, and self-righteous. Likewise, what they do about
female adultery cannot be said to be "wicked" or "diabolic".
So I'm left to say that their actions are reprehensible---but
how long will it be before even that is perceived to be not
in truth-mode, and becomes unutterable?

We *must* find ways to in no uncertain terms condemn
barbarism.  But words desert me, as we've emasculated
our ability to express outrage.

I would like to go back to Keith's posts where he described
how he was treated in prison. Perhaps it was entirely in truth-
mode. That's a pity, because the intolerable and unacceptable
treatment he received needs to be castigated.  But we have
no words left.

Lee