[ExI] Fwd: New Article

Sergio M.L. Tarrero sergio.ml.tarrero at mac.com
Mon Oct 8 16:06:34 UTC 2007

Henrique,

I think the idea of not using the word "atheist" is mainly strategic,
since it is proving very hard to convince many people who hate the
term "atheist" (who have built a mighty perceptual filter against the
term) to seriously pay attention to your arguments, much less become
"atheists" themselves, if they associate your person with a (yuck!)
lowly ignorant unenglightened "atheist" ("I know God is there because
I've felt him... he doesn't, and he'll never understand... he's an
ATHEIST, for god's sakes!!!", they tend to think).  Because of the
stigma associated with the word, they take "atheists" themselves as a
crazy cult, (while, however, it is no problem to *use* the word
presuasively, like Harris does, in order to help a believer
understand the point that "we're all atheists with respect to Thor;
or to any of today's religions' gods, from the perspective of another
religion"). So, what he's proposing is not using any specific word to
label yourself in this regard, while you fight silly ideas where you
find them, simply appealing to words like "reason", "logic",
"evidence" or "intellectual honesty". If you need a label, maybe you
can use the term "rationalist" instead (or others you may prefer),
which is harder for anyone to argue against or immediately feel
horrified about.

So, I don't think you would be "in the closet" for avoiding the word
"atheist" (and you will still not feel insulted if someone calls you
an "atheist", obviously), since you can still argue that you don't
believe in any personal or even creator god. But you can explain that
the word doesn't make much sense, it's a pretty useless term - the
burden of proof (for god's alleged existence) is more on your
opponent and vis outrageous, lofty, miraculous claims, and they have
no "proof" for any of this nonsense (except for the grand unified
theory of intelligent design, of course...  "faith" -irrational blind
belief- in ancient books of religious fiction is not proof of
anything and, as much as they hate to hear it, they know it is so). I
don't go around with a label for being a "non-baseball-fan" since,
for me, "baseball doesn't exist" (I no longer live in the US). If
your claim is that X doesn't exist (in our case god) you really
shouldn't need to label yourself an a-Xer. Even if something exists
you don't need to label yourself as a non-something. While you can be
an astrologer, the term non-astrologer sounds silly. Now I wonder why
the term "non-believer" sounds so natural, so "everyday"... it should
sound just as weird.  Also, you can say someone is being irrational
(about something), but you don't define someone as "an irrational".
Or as an "acook".

If you're a gay activist (in most places - everyone knows there's no
gays in Iran by now...) you can just argue for human rights, and
equal rights for all men and women (gay or otherwise). And I guess
the main reason some gay people stay "in the closet" (something more
uncommon every day in free societies, you must admit) is mainly due
to social pressure/stigma (our stupid backwards societies/religions
corner these people, quite literally, into a closet). A small but
very significant percentage of the population is most obviously
inclined to not be "straight", by nature.  So, there is a
difference.  It doesn't make much sense for a homosexual man to argue
against the label, I guess, since the definition of homosexual is,
pretty much, a man who likes men, romantically/sexually (and if one
feels that way, one should of course fight for his basic rights to
express this and live his life as he pleases, and a free -albeit
backwards- society will, eventually, have to accept it). But the
definition of "atheist" as a label for a person is based on the
proposed existence or claim of a "god" or "gods". If your claim is
that there are no god or gods to be found anywhere, no clear evidence
whatsoever for them, then you're a rationalist, or a realist, or
whatever. After all, you have a right to insist that you don't like
being defined by a word with theological implications!!  (since
religion is, after all, "the root of all evil")   ;-)

--
Sergio M.L. Tarrero