[ExI] Islamic extremism

hkhenson hkhenson at rogers.com
Wed Oct 10 03:36:14 UTC 2007

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oe-harris9oct09,0,3734484.story?coll=la-opinion-center

Ayaan Hirsi Ali: abandoned to fanatics

The outspoken former Dutch legislator deserves the protection her
country promised before she ran for parliament.

By Sam Harris and Salman Rushdie
October 9, 2007
As you read this, Ayaan Hirsi Ali sits in a safe house with armed men
guarding her door. She is one of the most poised, intelligent and
compassionate advocates of freedom of speech and conscience alive
today, and for this she is despised in Muslim communities throughout
the world. The details of her story bear repeating, as they
illustrate how poorly equipped we are to deal with the threat of
Muslim extremism in the West.

snip

It's worth taking the link and reading the rest, but there is no insight to:

"How poorly equipped we are to deal with the threat of Muslim
extremism in the West."

Sam and Salman, it's not just the West, we humans are poorly equipped
to deal with any kind of extremism anywhere in the world.

We don't even understand why Muslim extremism has become a more
serious problem over the last 40 or 50 years.  The situation is
analogous to the pre-germ theory times when humans were poorly
equipped to deal with infectious diseases.

In fact, you can make the case that solving infectious diseases is
part of what led up to Muslim extremism.  Reducing child and infant
mortality is a good thing only if accompanied by enough birth control
to keep the population out of foreseeing a "bleak future," i.e., the
population growth stays below the economic growth.

Keith Henson