[ExI] abandoning hope

giovanni santost santostasigio at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 30 18:18:21 UTC 2007

I'm sorry Amara,
  that is horrible.
  Italy has a lot of bad sides but there are bad sides in every country.
  When I lived in Italy (13 years ago) crime was much lower than now. It is still very rare for people to be killed for few dollars (or euros) as it happens here in the US.
   I have to say that there is a high likelihood that your passport was stolen by one of the many immigrants in Italy. I don't want to put down any ethnic group but it is a reality that crime shoot up when a lot of people from east european country started to invade Italy.
  I think eventually you will miss many think from that paradoxical country....
  I wish you the best wherever you are...
  .

Amara Graps <amara at amara.com> wrote:

>The fun thing is that when Amara moved to Italy a few years ago I told
>her that this sentence, written in capital letters, appears on the
>exit door of the airport for those who enter Italy.

It should be also for those who are desperate to leave Italy.

Monday (yesterday morning at 9:30) my wallet was stolen at a major
Rome bus terminal / metro stop.

All passports, identity cards, permits, credit cards (but one), bank
cards, drivers licenses, ... two weeks before I make an international
move (that's _why_ I'm carrying all of that, I'm closing out all of my
accounts, visiting bureaucratic offices, making reservations, plans and
so on.)

Probably no time else in my life, except when I was a kid, have I been
reduced to a single piece of authentic identification: my birth
certificate.

Amara

http://mail.yahoo.com