[ExI] Fascist America, in 10 Easy Steps

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Sat Sep 29 05:40:56 UTC 2007

At 09:51 PM 9/28/2007, you wrote:
>At 10:56 AM 9/28/2007 -0500, Natasha wrote in response to Emlyn and
>PJ on Naomi Wolf's recent essay [ http://www.alternet.org/waroniraq/51150/ ]:
>
> >Naomi Wolf, in my opinion, built a persuasive thesis but I did not
> >go for it.  I would have preferred she write about how elements of a
> >hip-hop/gangster-rap subculture manipulate women into becoming sex
> >slaves.  The idea of beauty and women wanting to be beautiful
> >reaches far beyond the corner that Wolf paints it into.
>
>Natasha, this is a very, very, very, very strange response to the
>Wolf essay on an alleged furtive preparation by powerful elements
>intent on fascist domination of the USA.

Fascism comes in many sizes and shapes.  Regardless of the cosmetics
of its makeup, it is treacherous and ugly.  While PJ suggests that
Americans do not recognize it; I think many do.  I hear it from
people who sense something is awry.

When I think about the decline of the values America was built upon,
stemming from The Bill of Rights and the world of Thomas Paine, I
long for the underlying essence of beauty.  (When one thinks of Naomi
Wolf, it is almost impossible not to think about her writings on
beauty (thus the connection))  You might say, "What the hell does
beauty have to do with human behavior, tryanny and politics?!"

Beauty, according to Le Corbusier, stemming from Pythagoras, is
mathematical in symmetry and proportion.  Beauty, according to
Benjamin Franklin, is found in simple yet carefully orchestrated
musical tunes. According to Thomas Jefferson "The beauty of the
second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take
it."  According to Simone Weil, "Justice, truth, and beauty are
sisters and comrades."

"Beauty, throughout history, generally has been associated with that
which is good. Likewise, the polar opposite of beauty is generally
considered to be ugly and is often associated with evil. ... This
contrast is epitomized by classic stories such as Sleeping Beauty.

Likewise, beauty according to Goethe, from his 1809 Elective
Affinities, is 'everywhere a welcome guest'. Moreover, human beauty
"acts with far greater force on both inner and outer senses, so that
he who beholds it is exempt from evil and feels in harmony with
himself and with the world."(Wakjawa 2007)

"An Occasional Letter On The Female Sex" (Thomas Paine, August 1775)
reflects on bondage and suffering at the cost of beauty."   But isn't
beauty a deeply valued sense of life that begets the desire for
freedom to express and experience?   Paine was a "[c]hampion of the
chaos of change and the beauty of unrestrained libertarianism"
(Rushton 2006)  The London Chronicle reprinted Ben Franklin's Causes
of the American Discontents before 1768 (1774).  Paine was distressed
and wanted to revolt against what he thought was a completely corrupt
state.  He thought of America as a land were the lovers of freedom
were uniting against the tyranny.  And that tyranny was an illness, a
sickness in human behavior.  An unwelcome guest.

> >I for one have always honored women who strive to be beautiful and
> >groom themselves to look their best.
>
>It's true that personal grooming has much to recommend it when one is
>faced with a turn to fascism.

Your wry comment has great value and fact if that grooming is
performed, with great care, on human behavior.

cheers,
Natasha

<http://www.natasha.cc/>Natasha <http://www.natasha.cc/>Vita-More
PhD Candidate, Planetary Collegium -University of Plymouth - Faculty
of Technology,
School of Computing, Communications and Electronics, Centre for
Advanced Inquiry in the Interactive Arts

If you draw a circle in the sand and study only what's inside the
circle, then that is a closed-system perspective. If you study what
is inside the circle and everything outside the circle, then that is
an open system perspective. - Buckminster Fuller