[ExI] Fascist America, in 10 Easy Steps

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sat Sep 29 06:09:22 UTC 2007

At 12:40 AM 9/29/2007 -0500, Natasha wrote :

>>(When one thinks of Naomi Wolf, it is almost impossible not to
>>think about her writings on beauty (thus the connection))

It's true that her 1991 book had a big impact--and that she's
gorgeous, which is also impossible to ignore, but a bit irrelevant to
her current concerns.

>>You might say, "What the hell does beauty have to do with human
>>behavior, tryanny and politics?!"

No, what I was suggesting is that it does Ms. Wolf a serious
disservice, as a public intellectual, to bypass the arguments in her
new book about the imminent risk of a slide into *actual real
political* fascism, and speak instead about something she published
16 years ago when she was 29. I'm sure there are structural links,
because the same human advanced both analyses about the
often-unnoticed political control of our lives, but doesn't it make
more sense to focus on her specific arguments in this current book
(as excerpted in the cited essay)?

Damien Broderick