[ExI] EP and Peak oil

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky sentience at pobox.com
Tue Apr 1 01:29:12 UTC 2008

Lee, the world is 40 years behind where it should be on nuclear power
as a direct result of anti-rationalist environmentalist meddling in
government.

As a result, the world also has 40 years of excess carbon emissions
from coal plants that should never have been built.

It is not necessarily possible for the "free market" to swoop in and
fix these problems after they have had 40 years to get worse.

Right now, we *should* have an upper bound of $5 on gas because
everyone knows it's possible to just build more nuclear power plants
and synthesize fuel from atmospheric carbon.  But, in fact, we don't
live in that world.

China should be building one nuclear power plant per day using their
foreign exchange surplus - after the rich West paid to do the design
work, and standardized the plant manufacturing.  Instead, China is
building one coal plant every 4 days.

The "free market" has *already* been stomped on, and the lead time to
fix things is not instantaneous.

If I put it that way, do you see how much trouble we may be in?