[ExI] EP and Peak oil

Gary Miller aiguy at comcast.net
Tue Apr 1 02:19:29 UTC 2008

Eliezer said: >>

Right now, we *should* have an upper bound of $5 on gas because everyone
knows it's possible to just build more nuclear power plants and synthesize
fuel from atmospheric carbon.  But, in fact, we don't live in that world.

China should be building one nuclear power plant per day using their foreign
exchange surplus - after the rich West paid to do the design work, and
standardized the plant manufacturing.  Instead, China is building one coal
plant every 4 days.

My Response:

China is slated to build 15 Nuclear plants over the next 15 years with
Westinghouse,

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06351/746789-28.stm

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/05_40/b3953066.htm

That's certainly not the 1 every 4 days like the coal fire plants but my
guess is the nuclear plants will outproduce them by a wide margin.

And from what China learns from the construction of the first 4 that
Westinghouse is building now, I bet they start building their own as quickly
as they can copy the blueprints and set up a supply chain.