[ExI] EP and Peak oil.

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 18:00:42 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 9:59 AM, John K Clark <jonkc at att.net> wrote:
> "Keith Henson" <hkeithhenson at gmail.com>
>
>  > 100 stations [...] That's about 1% of the output of a NJ sized solar
>  > panel.
>
>  Yes I think you're right, I must have screwed up a couple of decimal points,
>  sorry. But even using your figures that's over 2 square kilometers of solar
>  panel per gas station, not very encouraging.
>
>  > Now look at this from using power sats, which get from 3 to 10 times as
>  > much sunlight per square meter.
>
>  In space yes, but the microwave energy density on the ground would be
>  less than sunlight.

Setting the power level to less than 1/4 kW/square meter was for
safety reasons.  I don't know what actual power level would go
non-linear and short out the ionosphere.  Also the rectenna doesn't
block sunlight so you can put them over farmland--something you can't
do with solar cells.

>  I know rectennas are more efficient than solar cells
>  but I still find that figure discouraging. I'm not saying it's imposable, it
>  might even be practical, but I wouldn't want to stake my entire future
>  on it. I want a plan B.

Plan B is that something like 90% of humans starve.

Of course *no* energy project, not even power sats, can work when
there is exponential population growth.  All that happens is a more
and more massive die off--eventually.

Though I seriously doubt *human* population growth will be a problem
in the post singularity era.

Keith