[ExI] root cause analysis- towards a functional semi-automated consumer-driven economically sustainable health system paradigm

Morris Johnson mfj.eav at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 20:10:40 UTC 2008

The dysfunctionality within health care is evidenced by the spiralling total
cost for public and private plans as well as private paid and the value of
services unrendered or unavailable for cost or regulatory reasons.

Using ABC (activity based costing) , we can document a "kazillion" instances
of cost of some billable item not showing benefits appropriate for the
device/service/drug/consult.

Conversely those with knowledge of healthcare economics can document how
using QALY (quality adjusted life year)  math can deem some relatively low
cost ABC billed items not to be cost effective enough to cover.

The root cause is perhaps twofold.

Ist is transparancy of costs.   In Canada we do not get access to a yearly
detailed
bill describing each item and its billed cost.  Secondly some items costing
may be not tied to a single ABC and no sidenote to describe the contributing
cost factors is made available.

2nd and I feel most important is the inability and unwillingness to allow
any citizen to have full access to any health related information so that
they can independantly decide what action they want.  The major players are
comfortable to work privately with regulators and screen information.
Doctors and other gatekeepers are not designed to be educators as they
must first manage the crisis cases and the routine tasks before anthing
else.
There are better ways to deliver health information than the traditional
providers.
The alternative medicine consultation system has good intentions but also
its own sales adjendas.
The logical delivery is the lay media.
Regulators have made it nearly illegal to provide really unlimited access to
fundamental science information.

Dumbed down lay media and approved advertising is perhaps the root cause of
the health care economic crisis.

I spend time anytime I want to search various university based journal ,
media and trade information sources.
The ordinary person either cannot or chooses not to do this.

As a health product manufacturer I would have a much easier time to find my
target market if they were more informed.

Governments might rather have dumb citizens who are managed, but I do not
believe they have a vision of how
an open information access system might revitalize the crisis-managment
portion so that it can deliver
those items less often to fewer customers.

In effect this automates a self-driven health management protocol.

So in reflection much as automation has made mass produced consumer goods
possible , and automation of communication is the basis of the global
communications net perhaps a new automation of diagnosis, consultation and
personally driven health management paradigm.

Morris Johnson
Box 10, Beaubier, Sk., S0C-0H0
Canada   306-447-4944  ;  701-240-9411

Message: 25