[ExI] Use of Irony, or Miscommunication? (Was Re: Global Temperatures to Decrease)

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Fri Apr 18 06:52:21 UTC 2008

Damien writes

> At 09:12 PM 4/17/2008 -0400, ablainey wrote:
>
>> >Damien said: Yayyy! All that bullshit "global warming" panic is
>> over! Oh, wait, it goes on:
>>
>> I think this particularly insidious and damaging meme will just go
>> on and on and on.......Even when all the trees are dying because we
>> have sequestered all that CO2 (tree food), and a new ice age is
>> knocking on the door? They will still be blaming it all on Global warming
>
> Omg. Am I really going to have to label my sarcastic retorts with
> warnings: <bitter irony alert! do not quote in support of silly
> claims being pilloried!>?

It looks to me as though Alex saw through (thankfully!) your
ironical retort, because he's rebutting the point you're *really*
making, no?

Or am I missing something?   Recap:  Lee links to "not warming", then
Damien implies "global warming is not bullshit", and then Alex rebuts
the global warming "meme".

But I totally agree that we cannot do without irony and sarcasm on
this list. At least I can't   :-)

Lee