[ExI] Slavery in the Future

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 01:08:11 UTC 2008

On 21/04/2008, The Avantguardian <avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Ok. Let us assume it is possible to program a machine in this fashion,
>  what would be the benefit to us of programming the machines for
>  emotion? What utility is there in burdening our machines with millions
>  of years of our own EP baggage? Is the toast from a toaster that loves
>  me any better than that which comes out of a toaster that is
>  indifferent to me? Think about how annoying garage sales would be with
>  toasters begging us not to sell them.

Maybe emotions are optional for toasters, but not for entities with
more complex cognitive abilities. It's the same argument as for
consciousness: nature is interested only in behaviour, not internal
states, so emotions must have some utility or be a byproduct of
animal-like intelligence.

--
Stathis Papaioannou