[ExI] The Upload Game

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 24 09:07:45 UTC 2008

--- Lee Corbin <lcorbin at rawbw.com> wrote:
> In this case, the wiser people will upload and use their
> resources (possibly even extra-bodily resources that
> they got to keep) to evolve themselves into vastly more
> intelligent entities. Again, as wise people, I claim, they'll
> always provide earlier versions of themselves with at
> least some runtime, at least  because they fear that they
> too will be supplanted. But your problem now becomes,
> "will the advanced copies of us retain 'fun' and 'enjoyment',
> or will competition force them to abandon these as luxuries?
> (Me, I'll let Lee+ decide that for himself, being quite happy
> if Lee 2000, Lee 2005, etc., all get some runtime.)

Ok Lee. Imagine Executron the Overmind version 2.5 with service pack 3 offers
to upload you. You agree. You get put into some weird MRI-like aparatus, some
colored lights flash, and the procedure is done. You don't feel terribly
different. Executron assures you that the upload went without a hitch and that
every bit of information that is you has been scanned into the machine. He says
you may now transfer all your assets to your uploaded self and proceed to the
"showers" at the recycling facilities. Lets say you ask for proof that the
procedure worked. Executron rolls his CCD sensors and flicks on a monitor and
sure enough there you are jacuzzying with Lara Croft looking like you are
having the time of your life. Executron flicks off the monitor and slides a
Power of Attorney/Last Will and Testament before you. Do you sign it and go to
the recycling plant?

Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"Life is the sum of all your choices."