[ExI] The Upload Game

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Thu Apr 24 15:15:11 UTC 2008

The Avantguardian writes

> Lee wrote:
>
>> In this case, the wiser people will upload and use their
>> resources (possibly even extra-bodily resources that
>> they got to keep) to evolve themselves into vastly more
>> intelligent entities. Again, as wise people, I claim, they'll
>> always provide earlier versions of themselves with at
>> least some runtime, at least  because they fear that they
>> too will be supplanted.
>>
>> But your problem now becomes, "will the advanced
>> copies of us retain 'fun' and 'enjoyment', or will competition
>> force them to abandon these as luxuries? (Me, I'll let
>> Lee+ decide that for himself, being quite happy
>> if Lee 2000, Lee 2005, etc., all get some runtime.)
>
> Ok Lee. Imagine Executron the Overmind version 2.5 with service pack 3 offers
> to upload you. You agree.

Destructive upload?  Or do I get to be both "here" and "there"?
It's always necessary to specify that.

> You get put into some weird MRI-like apparatus, some colored lights
> flash, and the procedure is done. You don't feel terribly different.

That might not be "me". As an *absolute* prerequisite, the
procedure has been PROVEN to preserve memories, and
the uploads have passed all the usual tests so that we may
affirm that they are the same people. (Sorry to detail what
you've written, but many reading this won't understand.)

> Executron assures you that the upload went without a hitch and that
> every bit of information that is you has been scanned into the machine. He says
> you may now transfer all your assets to your uploaded self and proceed to the
> "showers" at the recycling facilities. Let's say you ask for proof that the
> procedure worked.

Like I said!  This step should *not* become necessary at
this late stage in the game!  It should have been long ago
proven to all and sundry that "uploading works". If there
is any question remaining, then we're still in the experimental
stage playing with monkeys or criminals.

> Executron rolls his CCD sensors and flicks on a monitor and
> sure enough there you are jacuzzying with Lara Croft looking
> like you are having the time of your life. Executron flicks off
> the monitor and slides a Power of Attorney/Last Will and
> Testament before you. Do you sign it and go to the recycling
> plant?

Under *this* scenario?  Of course not.  I must emphasize it
again:

"Uploading" is taken to mean *successful* uploading, which
is taken to me that no identity questions---except the most
abstruse ones---remain.

Moreover, you didn't say why the original had to die. Was
it part of a weird A or B choice thought experiment? In RL
there is no reason my original body wouldn't continue to
live (on a non-destructive upload methodology as you
have presumed here), and no reason for it to die just
because the uploaded version had life so much better.

Indeed, if my upload said ("Oh, this is *sooooooooo*
much better"), and---need I say it again?---this is
completely believable, then hopefully the meat Lee
gets to look forward to getting a new upload shot
every few years, though there will always remain a
meat Lee who irrationally feels that he's been unlucky.
(I explore his feelings in my old story
http://www.leecorbin.com/PitAndDuplicate.html ).

Thanks for the challenging TE (thought experiment).
Got any more?

Lee