[ExI] "general repudiation of Transhumanism"

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 11:43:42 UTC 2008

2008/4/28 Anna Taylor <femmechakra at yahoo.ca>:

>  I'd like you to describe to me what entails crazy?

Well, the definition of a delusion in psychiatric diagnosis is that it
is a fixed, false belief not in keeping with the believer's cultural
background. The last part is specifically added to avoid having to
classify religious people as delusional. There is also an assumption
that the belief is due to a pathological process, and not mere
eccentricity or foolishness. Occasionally there aren't associated
symptoms which mark a belief as due to a pathological process and we
are left with a trial of antipsychotic medication to make the
diagnosis. This test has very high specificity (almost certainly, if
the belief goes away with antipsychotic medication it was a delusion)
but only moderate sensitivity (only 60 to 80% of delusions will
resolve with treatment).

--
Stathis Papaioannou