[ExI] pain in childbirth

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 02:36:53 UTC 2008

2008/8/24 Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com>:

> Fwiw (1 datum point), my wife Barbara reports that childbirth for her took a
> long time and so was pretty exhausting, but that the degree of pain involved
> was comparable to menstrual cramps. She adds that she had fairly unpleasant
> cramps as a young woman.

Amnesia for the pain of childbirth is a well-known phenomenon. The
Textbook of Obstetric Anaesthesia suggests that 93.5% of women
experienced "severe or unbearable pain" when asked soon after
delivery, but this drops to 65% when they are asked six weeks later.
Labour pain is rated as one of the most severe pains it is possible to
experience.

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=QtQw9YD3-DAC&pg=PA49&lpg=PA49&dq=labour+pain+amnesia&source=web&ots=vSZcccq8m8&sig=1Y_d8Slr_PBv7a-oukf7Q6DNRWU&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result

--
Stathis Papaioannou