[ExI] QT and SR

scerir scerir at libero.it
Wed Aug 27 17:31:17 UTC 2008

JCK writes:
> What on Earth are you talking about? The experiment leads in the
> exact opposite direction! You yourself quote them as saying "the
> speed of this spooky influence would have to exceed that of light
> by at least 4 orders of magnitude." That seems pretty spooky to me.

Since they say that "the speed of this spooky influence
would have to exceed that of light by at least 4 orders
of magnitude" I wrote that these influences are improbable.
(But it is possible to think - i.e. one of the authors
of that papers, Gisin, thinks so -  that these correlations
happen "out" of space-time. But this is another story.)

> You also quote them as saying "We continuously observed 2-photon
> interferences well above the Bell inequality" so we have yet more
> conformation that Bell's inequality is violated, but it wouldn't be
> violated if the universe played by the rules and operated according
> to common sense, it doesn't.  You really can instantly change
> something on the other side of the universe, or at least do so better
> than 4 orders of magnitude faster than light. That seems pretty
> spooky to me.

Spooky yes. (Unless these correlations happen out of space-time.
In the sense that quantum correlations are the "software", and
space-time is the "monitor". Or something like that.)

> > Wasn't after all the Newtonian universe non-local too?

> No, because in Newton's world (Einstein's too) nearby events tend
> to have more effect on things than distant events, and this is not
> even approximately true for entanglement, in fact distance seems
> to play no part at all.

Newton was well aware of an awkward consequence of his theory:
if a stone is moved on the moon, then our weight, of all f us,
here on earth, is immediately modified. Newton described this
problem himself:
"That Gravity should be innate, inherent and essential
to Matter, so that one Body may act upon another at a
Distance thro a Vacuum, without the mediation of any
thing else, by and through which their Action and Force
may be conveyed from one to another, is to me so great an
Absurdity, that I believe no Man who has in philosophical
Matters a competent Faculty of thinking, can ever fall
into it. Gravity must be caused by an Agent acting constantly
according to certain Laws, but whether this Agent
be material or immaterial, I have left to the Consideration
of my Readers."

Unfortunately big distances and atmosphere make experiments
with entangled pairs difficult. (They use fiber optics in
general, not always.)