[ExI] QT and SR

John K Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Wed Aug 27 14:51:21 UTC 2008

"scerir" <scerir at libero.it>

> Damien, I suppose, wrote in July about those correlations:
> "All that's happening is that the outcome of a measurement
> *here* is correlated with the outcome of a measurement *there*.
> All? ALL! Here is a billion light years from there!"

Actually I wrote that, not Damien.

> now we know that spooky actions at a distance (and spooky
> passions at a distance) are improbable.

What on Earth are you talking about? The experiment leads in the
exact opposite direction! You yourself quote them as saying "the
speed of this spooky influence would have to exceed that of light
by at least 4 orders of magnitude." That seems pretty spooky to me.

You also quote them as saying "We continuously observed 2-photon
interferences well above the Bell inequality" so we have yet more
conformation that Bell's inequality is violated, but it wouldn't be
violated if the universe played by the rules and operated according
to common sense, it doesn't.  You really can instantly change
something on the other side of the universe, or at least do so better
than 4 orders of magnitude faster than light. That seems pretty
spooky to me.

> Wasn't after all the Newtonian universe non-local too?

No, because in Newton's world (Einstein's too) nearby events tend
to have more effect on things than distant events, and this is not
even approximately true for entanglement, in fact distance seems
to play no part at all.

 John K Clark