[ExI] I don't understand students: help !

giovanni santost santostasigio at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 17 05:49:22 UTC 2008

What is happening with students ??
I passed this girl with a C in an Astronomy for non-science majors class.
She calls me on my cell, demanding a B, saying she will go to the Dean if not satisfied.
She struggled all the semester and she is barely literate. She had problems in understanding 1.6 *10 =16. Seriously.
I was trying to be nice and I passed her with a decent grade.
When I went back and I looked more carefully at her assignment I discovered that on 119 lines of her final paper worth 15 % of her grade 115 lines were copied from the internet word by word.
The other 4 didn't make sense and they were full of grammatical errors.
She did quote 105 lines but the remaining 14, that she claimed to be her own (how somebody can think to write a paper with about 10 % being their "own work "is another wonder of the Universe) are also word by word  copied but not quoted.
She is fighting with me claiming I never mentioned they could not paste and copy to do their semester project and that she didn't do anything wrong. She want to go and debate this with my superiors.
What is going on in the minds of these students?
She is not the only one with this sense of the entitlement and reckless arrogance.