[ExI] I don't understand students: help !

Dagon Gmail dagonweb at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 20:19:38 UTC 2008

"...*but in ten years I see no reason we couldn't automate a iterative
process of
learning, researching, training and testing in a continuous cycle*..."

This process should obviously be free, paid by the state, at a substantially
lower
tax burden than current education and at a substantially higher efficiency,
but while
also being a lot less traumatic to students. *All at the same time yes.*

Here in my country all education is public, so the distinction between
private or
public is irrelevant. In a country where I vote I'll vote against madrases,
or any other
kind of private indoctrination institutes. I'll want nonscientific
education, namely
spreading creationist ideologies, outlawed.

The above quote is relevant to using compelling computing tools, that are
fun, that
work, that are cheatproof, that have a substantially lower drop-off rate,
that test
in continuous cycling, that stimulate both the talented and less so to
achieve the
maximum they can, but don't penalize those who cannot, that do not subject
kids
to gang culture, bullying. And then some. Schools have degenerated into
something
that is completely unacceptable. I am working in a very special school right
now,
where everyone is motivated beyond what I have ever seen my life, and I just
gag
at the though of lower professional schools (MBO) in my country.

I wouldn't even want to argue the american clusterf**k right now - that has
already
collapsed as a system years ago and keeps staggering on like a headless
corpse.

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 8:11 PM, Kevin H <kevin.l.holmes at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not really sure what you guys are talking about.  Ending public/free
> education just means

you're going to have more uneducated people out there, how is this a good
> thing?  I'm actually

in favor of the direction we're on with standardized testing and using this
> as the primary criteria

for evaluation teachers.  We just have to get out of the era of social
> promotion, parents and

teacher unions having the majority of the power, and you don't have to kill
> public education to

do this.