[ExI] [wta-talk] LA Times: Unlimited space for untold sorrow

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 20:05:32 UTC 2008

On Feb 6, 2008 9:47 AM, Natasha Vita-More <natasha at natasha.cc> wrote:
> At 11:52 PM 2/5/2008, Amara wrote:
>
> I don't watch TV often (even when I owned one) because the
> >fear-amplification factor used often in media reports is something that
> >I intensely dislike.
> >
> >I would prefer triumphs to be portrayed in the media more often than
> >tragedies, in general, but I guess that triumphs don't sell the news.
>
> Yes.  Even though I watch TV a lot - has some of the best programming
> anywhere on life, the future, nature, animals, adventure, ideas,
> etc.  BUT I dislike the news and try to stay away from it as much as
> possible.  I do watch Sunday news because it is more focused on
> substantial material about the world and is delivered in a far less
> hyperbolic tone.

### Me too. Can't stand news, which tends to either trivial (Britney
going to rehab, Britney without underwear, Britney taking a leak), or
infuriating (economically ignorant, morally alien), or just
exasperating (trash people killing each other). Advertising causes an
automatic finger-on-the-remote twitch. I only bought a TV last week
after some years of not owning one, and probably will only watch it
for 20 minutes a day, or however long it takes to eat dinner. I think
I'll stay in Azeroth, where my toons are reaching level 55 and will
soon venture into Outland.

Rafal