[ExI] [wta-talk] LA Times: Unlimited space for untold sorrow

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Feb 7 02:27:50 UTC 2008

> [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of PJ Manney
>
> In fact, if we based risk assessment on American media
> exposure in general, you'd think the only people at risk were
> young, blonde women, preferably those who made some error of
> judgement and died as a consequence.  According to CNN, Fox
> News, MSNBC, etc., they seem to be the only people who suffer
> from senseless deaths.  And there's a reason for that... but
> I hope I don't have to explain that to you, too... PJ

News agencies are under tremendous pressure financially, for they are trying
to sell a product that we can get free in arbitrary quantities on the
internet.  Increasingly they are using crime stories as filler, for it costs
practically nothing to produce the reams of fluff.

In December 2004, a giant seismic wave killed we don't even know how many
people in Indonesia.  Educated estimates went over a quarter of a million
people.  Yet there has been more ink spilled over one American girl who
perished mysteriously while vacationing (probably from alcohol overdose)
than was written about that wave which caused such appalling destruction.

The mainstream news media need not wonder why we don't care to read their
nonsense.