[ExI] the formerly rich and their larvae, was: Impressive book: Farewell to Alms

Tom Tobin korpios at korpios.com
Fri Feb 8 15:55:05 UTC 2008

On 2/7/08, Emlyn <emlynoregan at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you could make a memeset that successfully said "You should never
> reproduce" (in fact we probably have one of those kicking around in
> wealthy countries now)

In the English-speaking Western world, it's called the "childfree"
movement.  (Since I'm childfree, I had a vasectomy last year — and I
was only 28.  Best thing I ever did for myself.)  ^_^

> it could still lead to a more successful culture over time.

"Could", perhaps, but it certainly doesn't seem to be the case — in
America, at least.  How many national-level politicians, or Fortune
500 executives, get very far without having children?