[ExI] A Small Request [was Re: Impressive book: Farewell toAlms]

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Feb 9 05:54:25 UTC 2008

> Stathis Papaioannou
> > ...I don't want anyone having the legal authority to do
> > anything against my will, even if my will is clearly
> crazed.  I accept
> > the risk.  Others cannot hear the voices in my head.
>
> What if you found this note from someone you care about:
>
> "Dad, I realised yesterday that I am Jesus Christ...I have gone to the new
40 storey building in the
> centre of town where I will jump off the top floor..."
>
> Would you resist having your son treated forcibly in the
> knowledge that (a) he is crazy, (b) he will certainly die as
> a result of his craziness, and (c) if he had a few days of
> antipsychotic treatment he would return to normal and be
> utterly aghast at what he had been about to do, and what you
> had been about to let him do?...Stathis Papaioannou

Ja, tough questions indeed.

In that case I would likely try to have him apprehended by the authorities,
who could only hold him temporarily.  If he left a note, I think they can
hold patients for a short time.  Then I would likely round up my brother and
Shelly's brothers, and take and hold him at the ranch in Oregon, against his
will if necessary, recognizing that I would be breaking the law in so doing,
and hope for the best.  I would make use of whatever medical help was
available.

During his captivity, I would point out that Jesus Christ didn't jump.
Matthew chapter 4 verses 5-7 sayeth:

	5 Then the devil taketh him up into the holy city, and setteth him
on a pinnacle of the temple,

	6 And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down:
for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in
their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot
against a stone.

	7 Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the
Lord thy God.

Might or might not work, but I won't always be with him, as I am 46 years
his senior.  You can be sure I would try everything I know.  If a person
wants to die, there is no practical way of stopping them.