[ExI] A Small Request [was Re: Impressive book: Farewell toAlms]

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Sat Feb 9 07:31:50 UTC 2008

On Feb 8, 2008, at 10:48 PM, Olga Bourlin wrote:
> This is not a documentary for everyone, that's for sure.  I was simply
> curious about it (it finally came up on my Netflix queue).  Having
> spent a
> good part of my life in San Francisco, I still tend to gravitate to
> documentaries and movies about my former American home town.  (From
> what
> I've read, suicides off of the Golden Gate Bridge have actually gone
> up
> quite a bit since this movie was made - mainly due to more difficult
> economic times many people have had to endure.)

Eh?  Say what?  The local economy has been in non-stop growth mode
since that movie was made by almost any metric you can think of.  The
assertion that there was a significant increase in suicides after the
movie due to major new economic hardship is absurd and makes it hard
to take you seriously.  Whatever it is you "read", it is pure
unadulterated bullshit of the finest quality.

That assertion is so contrafactual that I am at a loss for words.
Where do you get your news and why have you not noticed its blatant
shortcomings before? Blind uncritical acceptance of its nominal truth?
It is mind boggling.

J. Andrew Rogers