[ExI] A Small Request [was Re: Impressive book: Farewell toAlms]

samantha sjatkins at mac.com
Sun Feb 10 22:33:38 UTC 2008

J. Andrew Rogers wrote:
> On Feb 8, 2008, at 10:48 PM, Olga Bourlin wrote:
>
>> This is not a documentary for everyone, that's for sure.  I was simply
>> curious about it (it finally came up on my Netflix queue).  Having
>> spent a
>> good part of my life in San Francisco, I still tend to gravitate to
>> documentaries and movies about my former American home town.  (From
>> what
>> I've read, suicides off of the Golden Gate Bridge have actually gone
>> up
>> quite a bit since this movie was made - mainly due to more difficult
>> economic times many people have had to endure.)
>>

> Eh?  Say what?  The local economy has been in non-stop growth mode
> since that movie was made by almost any metric you can think of.
Much too general a claim.  Real wages have not increased for quite some
time and the cost of housing relative to income is quite high in many
parts of the country.  It would be good to find a very fact filled case
attempting to resolve this issue.  If have seen short arguments leading
to very broad claims on both sides of the question.    Does anyone know
where such is likely to be found?

>   The
> assertion that there was a significant increase in suicides after the
> movie due to major new economic hardship is absurd and makes it hard
> to take you seriously.  Whatever it is you "read", it is pure
> unadulterated bullshit of the finest quality.

Says you.  Others say the opposite.  Where is the evidence leading to
enlightenment on the question?  There is no need whatsoever for these
off-the-cuff personal attacks.  Please stop.

- samantha